Wednesday 14 September 2011

My motorcycle diaries

I’m pacing the room again.  I’ve been in Sapa now for a little over a week and most of that time I feel I’ve spent looking out of the window.  It’s been raining now for days and it’s only just starting to clear up.  Looking out through the window of my room now I can see the highest mountain in Vietnam, Fansipan… well, the base of it anyway.  The rest of the mount is shielded by cloud although for the last half an hour its peak has pushed through the clouds.  I want to climb it.  I don’t think that’s going to be possible though unless I stay here for another week as the weather forecast is gloomy.  On top of that I’m nursing the tail end of a chest infection.
The weather cleared up yesterday for a bit so I decided to ride through the Tram Ton pass… and back again.  Due to the weather I was debating (reluctantly) to put Oscar back on the train to Hanoi and with that in mind I really wanted to ride the mountain pass before having to head back south.  Many consider Tram Ton to be one of the greatest roads (for views) in Vietnam and I’m thankful I took the gamble and rode off into the grey sky.  Fortunately the weather held out for the first few hours and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a countryside so beautiful.  Stunning and I know that even with my l33t photography skills not even I could give those mountains justice.  For now I’m only going to upload a few photo’s from my point and shoot anyway. 

Oscar and friend.

The good news however is that Friday is looking to be a great day so looks like I’ll be riding Oscar with all my gear strapped on the back out of Sapa as originally intended.  I’ll be headed west and I’ll be flipping a coin as to whether to head into Laos or keep travelling south through Vietnam.
Tomorrow I’m planning on dropping in on some hilltribe villages.  Hopefully the weather holds up.



No comments:

Post a Comment